Canals, Curanderos, and Bicycles in the Sonoran Desert
I left the house today at 3:30 in the morning, the kind of hour that still belongs to owls, street sweepers, and the last whispers of someone else’s dream. At this hour, I can often feel tens of thousands of dreamers tossing and turning in their sleepscapes.
The asphalt was warm under my tires,
holding the memory of yesterday’s heat like a low fever. Phoenix at that hour
isn’t quiet so much as suspended. The traffic lights still cycle their colors,
but no one’s asking anything of them yet. I clipped in, rolled forward, and
felt something unlock in my legs that had been waiting a long time for this.
I meant to walk. That was
the plan. But the water called louder than my own routine, like a distant drum
I could feel in my ribs. So instead of the usual route, I started tracing the
canals, letting the bike pull me into that old rhythm, the one my body still
knows better than most things: balance, push, glide, breathe. The Arizona Canal
spread out beside me, a hard line of concrete wrapped around moving sky. Even
in the dark, it shone a little, catching whatever light the city would give it,
carrying it east, west, who knows where, just always away, always along.
The Sonoran early morning is
its own kind of desert bloom. Mesquite silhouettes leaning over the canal like
old aunties watching kids at play, their thin leaves breathing out a faint
green smoke of scent each time the breeze shifted. Creosote waited in clumps
along the banks, quiet and resinous, like it is keeping a secret for the next
rain. Saguaros standing back from the water, those tall, stubborn elders
holding the line between city and desert, their arms raised not in surrender
but in blessing. I felt them watching—these plant relatives who know how to
store what they need and thrive in a harsh environment.
By the time I reached
Arizona Falls, the canal had become something else entirely, a small storm
contained in concrete. The water hurled itself over the drops, white and
insistent, a torrent stitched into the city’s body. I sat there, bike at my
side, and let the roar fill the spaces in my chest I didn’t realize had gone
hollow. The air was cooler in the spray, a narrow band of mercy in an 86-degree
dawn. The falls didn’t care about my deadlines, my inbox, or how many grant
applications were waiting to be finished. They just kept falling, kept
arriving, kept going.
Sitting there, I thought
about how this water is not supposed to be here and yet has always been here,
in some form, moving through different channels, different agreements,
different violences. The canal is a scar and a blessing, a reminder of how much
has been diverted, dammed, claimed, and yet, in these predawn hours, it becomes
a prayer rug laid out for anyone who wants to kneel beside it. I watched its
surface catch stray reflections of streetlights and early commuters, as if the
city’s nervous system ran not along the freeways but right here, through this
engineered river.
As I rode toward Old Town
Scottsdale, the sky began to thin at the edges. Along the path, brittlebush
crouched low, their spent seed heads haloed in a faint gray fuzz, like they
were already dreaming of the next rain. Ironwood branches braided themselves
into a dense, warm darkness above sections of the trail, sheltering mourning
doves and the occasional insistent, sweet desert cottontail trying not to be a
predator's meal. On the far banks, palo verdes held onto the last of their
yellow confetti, blossoms scattered across their own green skin, each tree a
small sun recalling another.
By the time I reached the
Solari Bridge, the sunrise had started its slow-burning climb. The bridge was a
ribcage of light, catching the first hints of color and bending them into
something ceremonial. I sat and watched the sky pull itself up from lavender
into peach, into the first serious blue. The canal below mirrored everything,
an upside-down world rippling with each passing duck, each swallow of wind. The
steel, the glass, the moving water all felt like an altar someone built without
knowing they were building one, or did they?
From that spot, my mind
slipped back years, to when my bike was not a choice but a necessity, my
primary mode of transportation. I remembered the feel of sore thighs and the calculation
of distance: how many miles to work, to the store, to wherever I needed to be.
Back then, the bike was the thin line between possibility and escape. As I sat
by the bridge, legs humming lightly from the ride, I could feel those years
return, not as nostalgia but as muscle memory. My body slipped into position
without asking, hands on the bars, back soft, breathing easy, as if those days
had only been last week.
And then, as the light
climbed higher, another memory rose to meet it, older than me and the canals,
older than this particular morning. When I was a young man, I opened my first
restaurant at the Mini Mall in Chandler. I had saved what I could, tucked away
every spare dollar, because my mother’s dream was always to have a restaurant. So,
I opened one for her, El Comedor Guadalajara, our little kitchen stitched into
the strip mall’s concrete spine. The smell of simmering chiles and frying masa
wrapped itself around the tables, our family’s recipes ladled into Styrofoam
bowls and onto chipped plates. It was messy and beautiful and exhausting, but
it was ours.
Next door to El Comedor was
a yerbería—a Mexican herb shop that seemed, from the outside, like one more
small business in a long row of them. Inside, though, it was its own world.
Glass jars lined the shelves, filled with dried leaves and roots, seeds and
barks with names that tasted like home on the tongue. The shop was run by an
elder Pascua Yaqui Curandero named Don Francisco. He and my mother became fast
friends. My mother, seeing how lost I was about direction, nudged me firmly
toward him. It wasn’t a question so much as a path laid out: you’re going to
get close to him, you’re going to work in his herb shop, and he’s going to
teach you about plants and other things you don’t even know you need yet.
So I apprenticed with him.
At first, I thought I was just stocking shelves, sweeping floors, and measuring
out little paper packets of herbs for customers who came in with aches and
worries. But slowly, the work shifted. Don Francisco began to name each plant
for me—its Yaqui name, its Spanish name, its particular way of being in the
world. He’d tell me what it could soothe, what it could stir, how it wanted to
be harvested, how it did not like to be disrespected. He talked about plants,
the way some people talk about relatives: with love, with exasperation, with
old stories that spiraled off into the spirit world and then circled back.
We became fast friends. He
was two-spirit, a very lovely man, soft and sharp at the same time, like a
mesquite branch in bloom. I remember watching him move through the shop, that
gentle authority in his hands, the way people relaxed when he looked at them.
Outside of the yerbería, I would see him bicycling all over Chandler on his
little red Schwinn with black tires, a splash of color in the long grid of
streets. Don Francisco would smile and wave to me with his big mustache, his
sun hat tipped just so. I wouldn’t just see him in Chandler; he’d appear like a
small miracle in Tempe, in Mesa, always on that bike, always in motion, as if
the whole Valley was his neighborhood.
He was in his mid-sixties
then, but on that Schwinn, he felt ageless, part of the same current as the
canals and the desert winds. When he passed away, something cracked open in me.
It was a big loss, one of those departures that didn’t finish leaving. For many
years after, he came to me in dreams. I’d see him standing in the doorway of
the yerbería or riding that red bike down some side street that existed only in
sleep. He would talk to me there, offer a plant name, a small joke, a bit of
counsel wrapped in that beautiful laugh, the kind that made it impossible to
stay entirely sad.
This morning, as I sat at
the park near the Soleri Bridge, looking at my bike and thinking about my age,
he came to mind again. The canal shimmered beside me, and for a moment, I could
almost see a red Schwinn ghosting along its edge, a sun hat bobbing above the
handlebars. I felt a beautiful smile rise inside my heart, warming me from the
inside out. He is still with me. His teachings are still with me. His lessons
are stitched into how I see the desert, how I listen to plants, how I move
through this world. The way he rode those streets, trusting his body, trusting
his little red bike—that lives in the way I find my balance again after too
long away from the pedals.
Heading home, the path
filled with humans in every possible arrangement, runners with high knees and
bright shoes, older couples walking in slow tandem, a parent pushing a
stroller, a teenager coasting past on a rented e-scooter, a man in work boots
and a reflective vest moving steadily, purpose written into every step. Different
bodies, different gaits, different colors of skin, all held within this narrow
corridor of shared movement. For a moment, it felt like we were all part of the
same quiet procession, each of us working something out with each step, each
wheel-turn, each breath.
There was a tenderness in
watching them—the way a woman in a big sun hat adjusted her pace for her dog,
the way an older man carefully made room for me to pass, the way a kid’s small
bike wobbled and then straightened as they found balance. It reminded me that
this desert, despite its sharpness, makes room for difference: spines and soft
leaves, shallow roots and deep taproots, annuals and ancient elders. A forest
of saguaros and a grove of invasive tamarisk can coexist along the same canal,
the story not simple, not pure, but undeniably real.
The heat rose with the sun,
an invisible hand resting between my shoulder blades. At 86 degrees in the
pre-dawn, you can already feel the promise of the furnace to come, the way the
day will build and build until the air itself feels solid. But as I rode back
home, the warmth on my back felt like an old friend leaning in, reminding me I
live in a place where survival is an art. Creosote, with its rain-summoning
scent; ocotillo, leafing out in a matter of days after a storm; cholla,
throwing its improbable magenta blooms into the world as if to say, “Even here.
Especially here.”
Each pedal stroke was a
small spell. Forward, forward, forward. With every rotation, something clicked
back into place inside me—some alignment between bone and memory, between this
desert and the bodies that made me. My Cora and Yaqui ancestors walked other
arroyos, other rivers, but the logic is the same: follow the water, listen to
the plants, let the sky tell you what time it is. On the bike, I could feel
their insistence humming along my spine, the way they learned to read
landscapes for medicine, for food, for safety. Today, I was just reading the
canal path, but the old skills made themselves known.
As central Phoenix gathered
itself into daytime—cars thickening on the roads, planes already slicing lines
across the sky—I was nearing home. The saguaro sentinels faded into backyards
and side lots, hidden behind stucco walls and chain-link fences. A lone
mesquite shaded the corner where I waited briefly for a light, its fine leaves
filtering the hard sun into something gentler on my face. I breathed in the
faint tar-and-earth smell rising from the pavement and thought, with a kind of
quiet certainty: I am not done with this. Not with this bike, not with these
canals, not with this endless choreography of water and desert and human bodies
in motion.
And somewhere between the
canal’s shimmer and the growing heat, I felt a quiet invitation: that when I go
into the dreamworld again, when I close my eyes and step back into that other
kind of night, Don José might visit me once more. Maybe he’ll be in the
yerbería, maybe he’ll be on that red Schwinn, riding just ahead of me on a path
that curves beyond the horizon. Either way, I know his laughter will find me,
and I will recognize it as easily as I recognize the smell of creosote after
rain.

Comments
Post a Comment