Exploring Camp Naco, the Buffalo Soldiers, and the Seeds of Untold Stories
Exploring Camp Naco, the Buffalo Soldiers, and the Seeds
of Untold Stories
Until very recently, Camp Naco did
not exist in my imagination.
I had never walked its grounds, never
heard its name in history class, never been told that Black soldiers once lived
and trained in adobe barracks just yards from the border in southern Arizona.
I’d heard “Buffalo Soldiers” in passing, maybe as a lyric, maybe as a phrase
floating through American pop culture, but I hadn’t been asked to sit with the
complicated human beings behind that name.
So when Tanja introduced herself to
me at the Arizona Indian Festival and then texted me about Camp Naco, a place
she thought I might be interested in, my instinctive response was the one that
has guided most of my life: I followed my curiosity. I went on a deep dive, documentaries,
Smithsonian archives, PBS specials, trying to wrap my mind around this chapter
of history that had somehow been standing in my own region, largely unnoticed
by me.
What I found was not a simple story
of heroes in uniform. The Buffalo Soldiers were emancipated Black men who
enlisted in the U.S. military after the Civil War, still subject to racism,
still denied full citizenship, still relegated to the margins even as they wore
the uniform of the state. Many of them were simply trying to feed their
families, to find a path into that elusive promise we call the American Dream.
When you look closely, you see them on the front lines in the South, along the
Texas border, out here in Arizona, holding a line they never fully controlled,
for reasons that were never entirely their own.
It’s a story threaded with survival
and contradiction, with love of family and loyalty to a country that didn’t
love them back in equal measure. It refuses to flatten itself into a neat
morality tale. And that, to me, is where real work and the real possibility
begin.
A
Tiny Blip, A Vast Convergence
On paper, Camp Naco can look like a
footnote. It began as a tent camp in the early twentieth century and was later
rebuilt in adobe for Buffalo Soldiers around 1917–1919. It was officially
decommissioned in 1925 and then passed through different uses: Civilian
Conservation Corps, affordable housing, periods of abandonment and damage. One
could dismiss it as a “tiny blip” in the larger flow of U.S. history.
But when Jeremy, the executive
director of Camp Naco, began describing it, I heard something else. He talked
about Camp Naco as a place where many large conversations converge: Black
military history, Indigenous homelands, Latino communities, borderlands
politics, Mexico, U.S. relations, refugee narratives, and the ongoing struggle
over who gets to tell these stories. There are not many sites in the
borderlands that still stand a hundred years later with so many threads running
through them.
The camp itself was likely built by
local Latino laborers contracted by the military, the adobe structures shaped
by hands that had long known the earth before the U.S. Army came calling.
Today, about twenty-two buildings remain; some are significantly damaged, but
many of the core structures are still standing, adobe walls that have watched
the wind change, watched neighbors come and go, watched the politics of their
existence swing like a pendulum.
And surrounding those walls is the
land: the Chihuahuan Desert, a transition zone from Sonora into Chihuahua,
where the Sonoran Desert I know intimately begins to loosen its hold and
another desert, with its own cast of plants and animals, begins to take over.
It’s an ecological border that doesn’t care about human lines on maps. Some
plants are familiar; others arrive with differences in elevation and rainfall,
reminding us that human borders are fences, but desert borders are gradients.
When I look at Camp Naco through that
lens, I no longer see a blip. I see a convergence point, geographic, cultural,
spiritual, where many rivers of story flow together.
Part of why Camp Naco hit me so
deeply is that the borderlands are not theoretical to me; they live inside my
family story.
My great-grandmother, Natalia Lopez
Trujillo, migrated from the interior of Mexico. During the Cristero Wars, her
village was burned. At thirteen, a child really, she migrated to Douglas,
Arizona. There she built a new life, met her husband, and raised children. She
was a midwife and an herbal healer, a woman whose work braided together birth,
plants, and survival in a place where catastrophe had already visited her once.
I grew up in Chandler, Arizona, and
spent many ceremonial times in Guadalupe, a Yaqui community outside Phoenix,
raised traditionally within my culture by my mother, who had been raised by
Natalia. Plants were not abstractions in our household; they were relatives.
They were the medicines you reached for before you reached for a bottle. They
were woven into the stories you heard at night. They flavored the food that
reminded you who you were.
As a child, when my mother loaded us
into the station wagon, eight kids, no seatbelts in sight, and drove us towards
Douglas and Nogales, those trips seemed like long, chaotic pilgrimages. I
didn’t yet have words for what she was doing, but now I understand that she was
retracing routes. She was always on a pilgrimage, returning to the borderlands
that had reshaped our family, checking on the threads that tied us to both
sides.
When I pull up a map now and look at
Douglas, Bisbee, and Naco, the questions come: How far did my great-grandmother
walk? Did she pass near what is now Camp Naco? Did the same dust that gathers
on my boots gather on her skirt? These are speculative questions, yes, but I’ve
learned that story-making is also an act of spiritual mapping. Sometimes we
need to imagine the path in order to feel its truth.
Work
as Landscape, Landscape as Work
Professionally, I often describe
myself as a cultural worker. My life has been a patchwork: arts administration,
storytelling, tourism, Indigenous culinary events, international exchanges, circus,
puppetry, and plant walks in the desert. On paper, it might look like “a little
bit of everything.” In my heart, it feels like the same work over and over, in
different forms: helping people remember how they belong to a particular place
and to each other.
For the past decade, I’ve worked with
the Arizona American Indian Tourism Association, shaping narratives for
journalists who want first-voice stories from Indigenous communities. I’ve
collaborated with the Arizona Office of Tourism and Experience Scottsdale, ensuring
visitors don’t just encounter “Scottsdale” as a brand but Indigenous Scottsdale
as a living reality. I helped conceive and produce the Arizona Indigenous
Culinary Experience, curating chefs from tribes across the state who use
ancestral ingredients in contemporary ways.
I’ve opened a small café in Superior,
Arizona, straight from San Francisco, confusing the city council by bringing in
Apache medicine women and Amazonian plant knowledge keepers to talk about food.
I’ve worked with scientists at Boyce Thompson Arboretum to design dinners that
put Indigenous plant knowledge in conversation with Western botany. I’ve
produced events in New York where Indigenous chefs cook Sonoran Desert dinners
for Condé Nast and Bon Appétit, and I’ve insisted that, between bites, they step
forward and tell the story of each dish, where the seed came from, who their
grandmother was, what ceremony the food once belonged to.
I’m also the executive director of
the Great Arizona Puppet Theater, where we perform hundreds of shows each year
around Arizona ecology, wildlife, birds, plants, animals, alongside fairy
tales. Even in that work, I see the same pattern: inviting children and adults
to see the desert not as a backdrop, but as a character, a teacher.
When I lead Sonoran Desert plant
walks at Taliesin, I begin by stretching the map. The Sonoran Desert is not
contained by the border; it extends into Baja and Sonora and beyond. When we
talk about migration, people, and food, I remind folks that tribes living near
one another often share foodways that cross national lines. Our bodies do not
know where one country ends and another begins. Our taste buds certainly don’t.
In that sense, my work feels like a
long-term attempt to erase the hardest edges of borders, not in a naïve
political sense, but in a sensory one. To help people feel that the desert, the
plants, the stories, and the foods have always flowed beyond the lines we draw.
Camp Naco now sits inside that map,
waiting.
Food, Story, Ceremony: The Three Strands
One of the core teachings I live by
is this: in Indigenous thought, you cannot separate food, story, and ceremony. They
are three strands in one braid. A community evolves around its landscape; the
plants and animals shape the stories; the stories shape the ceremonies; the
ceremonies shape how you gather, eat, grieve, and celebrate.
Take nopal. Archaeologists might tell
you it has been a food source in the Americas for around twenty thousand years,
but that number is less important to me than the relationships it represents.
Depending on the region, nopal appears in different dishes, different rituals, and
different metaphors, but it always pulls you back to the land that raised it.
Corn is another traveler. It began as
an Indigenous crop in what is now Mexico and spread around the world. Today,
people eat corn in Russia, Africa, the United States, and countless other places.
But how many of them know its story? When I share these details at my events,
people often say, “I had no idea,” and you can see it change on their faces.
The goal is not for them to become
experts on nopal or corn. The goal is for that moment of surprise to awaken
their own buried stories. I tell people all the time: every single one of us is
Indigenous to somewhere. Every human body evolved in relationship to some
landscape, some specific foodways, some medicines, some stories. Through
colonization, migration, and the seduction of commodity culture, those stories
have been disrupted, but they are not gone.
Over and over, I see how food becomes
the doorway. Someone comes up after an event and says, “My grandmother in
Russia used this herb,” or “My family in Alabama cooked this during hard
times,” and suddenly, we are not just talking about Indigenous Arizona, we are
talking about their own lineage. It’s like a switch flip, and they realize
they, too, come from a people who once knew how to read their land.
That is what I want to bring to Camp
Naco.
During our conversation, someone
mentioned that chiltepin grows around Bisbee and Camp Naco. My ears perked up
immediately.
Chiltepin is the only native chili to
what is now the United States and is often called the “mother of all chilies,”
because many cultivated varieties, including jalapeño, descend from it. It
grows wild and unassuming, a small bead of fire tucked into the desert. You
have to look for it. You have to pay attention.
I love that image: a tiny chili
plant, carrying within it the genetic memory of so many global dishes, growing
in the shadow of an old military post where Black soldiers once stood guard on
Indigenous land built by Latino labor. If you wanted a single symbol for the
borderlands, chiltepin would not be a bad candidate.
Whole stories can be told just
starting from that plant. You can talk about Apache relatives moving between
San Carlos and the Chiricahua homelands in Mexico; O’odham families who may
have migrated during the Apache wars and later became part of the Tohono
O’odham Nation; Mexican farmers cultivating chiltepin and other crops along the
border; Black families bringing their own food traditions as they moved
westward from the South.
You can also talk about contemporary
people like my San Carlos Apache friend, a seed keeper who works with high
school students, reintroducing ancestral foods into school cafeterias and
preparing them for culinary careers rooted in traditional knowledge. These are
not museum pieces. These are living traditions.
What excites me is the possibility of
inviting visitors to Camp Naco to encounter the desert this way: not as a
silent backdrop, but as an archive of taste, medicine, and memory. To say,
“Look, this tiny chili in your hand is tied to recipes you know and recipes
you’ve never tasted. It bridges kitchens from Sonora to Brooklyn. It grows
right here, quietly, while we argue about the border.”
Untangling the Buffalo Soldier Narrative
The story of the Buffalo Soldiers at
Camp Naco is not simple, either. For some communities, that uniform represents
violence and complicity in campaigns against Indigenous peoples. For others, it
represents a narrow but vital pathway to economic security, dignity, and a
sense of belonging in a nation that systematically excluded Black people.
Jeremy reminded us that many Buffalo
Soldier camps had refugee communities nearby, Mexican families fleeing the
revolution who sought safety in the orbit of these military outposts. I can
guarantee most of these “Mexican” people fleeing were the Indigenous peoples
displaced and now scattered and removed from their stories. In that light, the
soldiers are not just instruments of empire; they are also neighbors who, in
some cases, helped families survive and relocate. Again, it’s not a story of
pure heroes or pure villains; it’s a story of human beings navigating
impossible choices in a violent system.
This is where food and story can do
something special. When we sit down to share a meal, we are all tasting the
same dish, but the meaning of that meal shifts depending on who we are and
where we come from. A piece of cornbread might conjure plantation fields for
one person, a grandmother’s warmth for another, a church basement potluck for a
third. None of those meanings cancel the others out; they coexist.
My hope is that we can create
experiences at Camp Naco where people can encounter the Buffalo Soldier story
in that layered way. Where an Apache elder, a Black descendant of a soldier, a
Mexican American whose ancestors fled the revolution, and a white visitor from
Nebraska can all stand in the same space, listen to overlapping narratives, and
walk away with their sense of history expanded rather than narrowed.
Food, plants, and story give us tools
to do that. They slow people down. They occupy their hands and mouths just
enough that their hearts can open.
A
Desert That Refuses to Be Barren
Tanja shared that one of the most transformative
experiences she had in the Sonoran Desert was joining saguaro fruit harvests.
You wake up before the sun, hike out into what many outsiders still describe as
“barren” land, and find yourself surrounded by abundance: cacti heavy with
fruit, insects humming, birds taking their cut. It is hot, unforgiving work.
And yet, after a day of it, you can never look at the desert the same way
again.
I have had this same experience, and what happens is you start to see food everywhere. You
see medicine everywhere. You see stories hanging off every branch.
The same is true of agave roasting,
of mesquite harvesting, of gathering tepary beans, and of learning which plants
your ancestors used to treat illness. Once you’ve participated in those
activities, a fast-food burger tastes different. A grocery aisle looks
different. You begin to understand why returning to traditional foods has been
so important for communities like the Tohono O’odham, who once had some of the
highest diabetes rates in the country after being pushed away from their
ancestral diets.
I imagine Camp Naco becoming, in
time, a place where visitors can have those kinds of experiences. Maybe not
immediately in a full commercial kitchen, because the site is still under
construction, but in open-air settings that honor the practices of borderlands
communities who have always cooked with fire and earth. I picture agave
roasting pits, simple outdoor hearths, storytelling circles in the shade of
mesquites. I picture a day when someone leaves Camp Naco and drives past a
stand of shrubs on the roadside and thinks, “That’s edible. That’s medicine.
Someone once survived on that.”
Trauma, Thriving, and What Stories We Choose to Tell
For years now, whenever November
rolls around, my phone starts ringing. Reporters call, wanting to talk about
Thanksgiving and Indigenous trauma. They want pain, grief, the outrage. They
want what I’ve come to call “trauma porn”—stories that center Indigenous
suffering without giving equal space to Indigenous resilience, creativity, and
joy.
I don’t deny the trauma; it’s part of
our reality. But I also know there are thriving farms, new restaurants, chefs
experimenting with ancestral ingredients, and seed keepers working quietly to
protect the future. So, I shifted the Arizona Indigenous Culinary Experience to
November, in part so that when the calls come, I can say, “Let me tell you a
different story. Let me introduce you to people doing beautiful work right
now.”
Often, reporters are relieved.
They’ve been stuck in the same narrative loop and are hungry for something
deeper. When they write those stories, the community hears its own strengths
reflected back, and that matters. It builds a kind of collective self-esteem;
it gives young people something to point to besides statistics.
I want to apply the same lens at Camp
Naco. Yes, we have to talk about racism, colonization, displacement, and the
complexities of the Buffalo Soldier role. But we can also talk about
Borderlands gardeners, Apache seed keepers, Bisbee artists, Black chefs with
roots in Texas who now cook in Arizona with ancestral migration sensibilities
in their dishes, and Indigenous tourism leaders shaping new narratives of what
Arizona looks like.
We can talk about the ways in which
Camp Naco, paired with a place like Bisbee, a quirky, artsy tourism destination
in its own right, could create experiences that draw people in with curiosity
and leave them with something they didn’t expect: an expanded sense of who
“belongs” in this landscape.
Right now, Camp Naco is still very
much a work in progress. There are construction zones, limited facilities, and
a long to-do list. To some, that might feel like a constraint. To me, it feels
like an opportunity.
Throughout my career, I’ve learned to
begin with what’s in front of me. If there’s no full kitchen, there might be a
patch of open ground for a cooking fire. If the infrastructure isn’t ready for
a big festival, maybe it’s the perfect time for small, intimate gatherings that
set the tone. If the buildings are not yet restored, their partially crumbling
walls can remind us that preservation is not just about freezing history in
place but about deciding, together, what we want to carry forward.
I’ve helped navigate permitting for open
fires in many of my productions and for Sonoran Desert ingredients towards
tables in New York City; we can certainly figure out how to roast agave under
an Arizona sky. The key is to treat the current state of Camp Naco not as a
deficit, but as a poetic condition: an in-between space where new stories can
be seeded before the site is “finished.”
At the grand opening, it will matter
what we choose to do and say. It will matter whose voices are present, what
foods are shared, and which histories are told first. Opening days create
myths. They become part of the origin story.
I would love for Camp Naco’s next
origin story to be one of convergence and inclusion, where Black, Indigenous,
Latino, and other communities see themselves not as separate exhibits, but as
intertwined chapters in a shared narrative of the borderlands.
Seeding
Stories, Not Just Programs
As I continue to think about Camp
Naco, I keep returning to something that happened at an event I produced in
Brooklyn. After listening to a series of chefs share stories about their dishes,
about ancestral seeds and grandmothers, migrations and ceremonies, a reporter
came up to me in tears. She asked if she could hug me. Then she said, “I live
in New York, I’m a reporter, and the world feels like it’s coming at us
nonstop. But sitting here tonight, listening to these stories, I felt like
maybe we’re going to be okay.”
That’s what I want for Camp Naco.
Not “okay” in the sense of ignoring
injustice or pretending everything is fine, but “okay” in the sense that we can
still find ways to connect across difference, to humanize each other, to
remember that we are part of something older and wiser than our current
headlines.
When I work with children from
Indigenous communities who don’t yet know their own stories, I take them on
plant walks at museums tied to their heritage. We stand in front of exhibits,
and I say, “This is you. This is your people. This is your landscape.” And I
watch something click. They stand taller. They smile. They say, “That’s us?” It
is a small moment, but it matters.
At Camp Naco, I imagine children and
adults having similar awakenings, learning that the Buffalo Soldiers are not
just a uniform but a complex story of Black resilience; that Apache, O’odham,
and other Indigenous peoples are not just names on a panel but living
communities nearby; that the desert around them is not empty but full of
edible, medicinal, and spiritual life.
I’m not driven by a desire to be
written up in glossy magazines, although sometimes that happens. I’m driven by
the desire to seed stories. Stories that will keep growing long after people
leave the event or the site. Stories that make someone go home and ask their
grandmother about a recipe, look up the Indigenous peoples of their own
hometown, or volunteer with a local organization.
When I leave an audience, I often
say, “What’s your story? You don’t have to answer now but go find it. It’s
waiting for you.” I believe Camp Naco can become one of the places where people
begin that search—or continue it more deeply.
We live in a time when words like
“diversity,” “equity,” and “inclusion” are being dismantled in policy and in
public discourse. We are still deporting veterans. We are still criminalizing
migration. We are still, far too often, choosing fear over kinship. It can be
tempting to look at all of this and say, “Nothing has changed.”
But to stop there would be to ignore
the quieter revolutions happening in places like Camp Naco, Indigenous
kitchens, community gardens, small-town theaters, and cross-border
collaborations. The promise I feel when I think about Camp Naco is not a naïve
belief that one historic site will fix any of this. It’s the sense that, if we
tend it carefully, this place can become a kind of seed bank for stories.
A border is not just a line on a map.
It is a place where multiple realities collide, where you can taste the tension
and the beauty in the same meal, where you can stand in two countries at once
and realize that the land beneath your feet doesn’t recognize either flag. Camp
Naco is one small but powerful node in that larger web.
My hope is that as we shape
programming there, whether it’s an agave roast under the stars, a chiltepin
foraging walk, a culinary event with Black and Indigenous chefs, a storytelling
circle with Apache and O’odham voices, we remember that we’re not just
organizing events. We’re tending to the human capacity for connection. We’re
giving people a chance to feel history in their mouths, in their muscles, in
the soles of their feet.
And in doing so, perhaps we can move
a little closer to the version of ourselves we’re meant to be: people who
choose curiosity over ignorance, kindness over cruelty, complexity over easy
answers.
Camp Naco is inviting us to listen.
The Buffalo Soldiers’ footsteps, the Apache songs, the O’odham migrations, the
chili plants, the refugees, the kids who don’t yet know their own stories, they’re
all here, waiting.
The question is: what stories will we
tell together next?
Read more on the Arizona Indigenous Culinary Experience Here-
jlf
![]()
.jpeg)


Comments
Post a Comment