Reaching towards 60 Day 1 of 30
This morning, in that tender blue
hour before the sun tips over the mountains near our home, I found myself awake
again at four, listening to the quiet and to my own breathing. I picked up my
pen the way some people pick up a prayer bead, and started to trace the
contours of this approaching milestone: sixty years on this beautiful,
complicated earth. It feels less like a countdown and more like a soft arrival,
like walking out into the desert at first light and realizing the world has
been waiting for you, already blooming.
Tomorrow I’ll lead my last Sonoran
Desert plant hike of this season at Taliesin, and then step into the shimmer
and swirl of the Harmony Gala I’ve been co‑chairing at the museum. These two
events bookend so much of what I love: the intimacy of walking among saguaros
and creosote, talking about plant nations and food and the stories that live in
the soil, and then the joy of gathering people together in celebration, art,
and possibility. I can feel the thread that runs through it, the same curiosity
that pulled me into the desert path is the one that nudges me into a gallery, a
kitchen, a conversation with a stranger, a new country, a new idea. It is the
throughline that has guided me into cultures, science, the humanities, and the
galaxies inside my own internal universe.
As sixty approaches, I can’t help but
feel the presence of those who didn’t get to walk this far with me. Three
siblings gone in their forties, my father gone at forty‑three; their absences
have become a kind of quiet council, reminding me over and over that each day
is not to be assumed but received. Coming of age in the shadow of the AIDS
pandemic, I danced with a circle of about twenty‑two young gay friends here in
Phoenix, Brown and Black and beautiful under the club lights, Madonna pulsing
through the speakers, sweat and laughter hanging in the air. Years later, after
San Francisco and all the losses, it was just two of us left, Mark and me, and
that reality carved something deep into my bones: the understanding that
survival is a responsibility. A responsibility to live, when so many are gone,
is to carry their music forward.
So when I say sixty is a milestone,
it isn’t a throwaway phrase; it is an astonishment, a small miracle I do not
take lightly. I feel myself relaxing into who I am in a way that I couldn’t at
thirty or forty, as if some internal muscle finally unclenched and made room
for the fullness of Jeffrey to stretch out and breathe. I can joke with Greg
and my friends about entering my muumuu stage, imagining myself in Marrakech
and Granada, swishing through markets in generous, colorful fabrics, but
underneath the humor is a genuine sweetness, a desire to inhabit my body and my
life with comfort, ease, and unapologetic joy. To clothe myself in the kind of
softness it has taken me decades to extend inward.
The desert, as always, is my truest
mirror. My mother, raised by her great‑grandmother who caught babies and
gathered plants as a midwife and curandera, taught me early that the land is
not background, it is relative, teacher, altar. She tended gardens the way some
people tend entire cosmologies, hands in the soil, flowers and herbs spilling
from every corner, and in her role as an altarista she stitched together the
sacred and the everyday with candles, photographs, and marigolds. I see now how
deeply I am her son: walking desert trails, teaching about plant medicines and
foodways, reading the landscape as if it were scripture written in thorns and
petals and stone. I am not only honoring her legacy; I am expanding it,
learning more, listening more deeply, adding my own stories to the lineage.
This year, my gaze turns from the
saguaros of home to the red dust of another beloved landscape. I’ll be heading
back to Marrakech for the second time, returning to a city that slipped into my
ribcage years ago and never left. Nestled at the foothills of the Atlas
Mountains, Marrakech feels to me like a place where earth and sky are in
constant conversation, where dust and prayer and spice all rise together in the
same warm breath. The first time I stepped into the grand medina, with its maze
of alleys, the calls of vendors, the colors and textures, and music, I felt
something in me recognize it, not as home exactly, but as a beloved, familiar
dream I had been trying to remember for a long time. The spice markets, the
layered languages, the call to prayer pouring out over rooftops, the cumin and
saffron and orange blossom in the air, they took hold of my heart and refused
to let go.
So on the day of my birth, at sixty,
my plan is simple and sacred: I want to sit on the ground in the grand medina
with a cup of tea in my hands and just breathe in Marrakech. I want to feel the
stone beneath me, worn smooth by generations of footsteps, and watch beautiful
humanity walk by, families, elders, children with sticky fingers, shopkeepers,
tourists who look a little lost and a little in love. I want to sit low, close
to the earth, and let the city move around me like water, like a river of faces
and stories and possibility. There is something holy to me about occupying that
small, humble space in the midst of all that motion, just one more human in the
great swirl of it all, quietly giving thanks for the chance to still be here,
still be curious, still be in awe.
As I imagine myself there, tea in
hand, the sky changing color over the medina—I hear a song threading its way
through my thoughts. “Beautiful Strangers,” written by Kevin Morby and sung
with soul‑deep grace by Mavis Staples, has become one of my quiet prayers.
Mavis is my compass in so many ways; her voice is a kind of spiritual
technology that knows how to turn sorrow, history, and injustice into something
like courage. When she sings, “If you ever hear that thunder / Put your eye to
the sky, boy, and wonder / Maybe there’s a kingdom above the weather,” I feel
my own lifelong wondering reflected back to me. I have spent years putting my
eye to the sky and to the desert and to the faces around me, asking what kind
of world we might build here together.
There is a line in that song that
always catches in my throat: “And if I lose my voice / If I have no choice but
to go quiet / Won’t you sing for me / A melody into the night there.” I think
about that often—this idea that if and when my voice falters or falls silent,
someone else might carry the song for me. I’ve lost so many people whose voices
I cherished, to illness, to violence, to neglect, to the slow suffocation of
systems that never truly wanted them to thrive. Sometimes I feel like I’m still
listening for their unfinished notes in the wind. Sitting in Marrakech, I want
to honor them by being fully present, by letting my own voice, however quiet
that day, join the larger chorus of humanity around me. It comforts me to
believe that when each of us drops out of the song, the music keeps going, held
up by others who love us or never even knew our names.
The song doesn’t turn away from the
harshness of the world; it carries gunshots and sirens, Paris and Orlando and
Freddie Gray, and still finds the courage to say they cannot scare us or stop
the music. That insistence lives in me too. As I turn sixty, those lyrics meet
my memories: the dance floors of my youth, when we were twenty‑two strong and
fearless, and then San Francisco, when it was just two of us left. The notion
that I might “die too young for something I ain’t done,” or that someone I love
might, is not abstract; it is a familiar shadow that has walked beside me for
decades. But what moves me in the song is the plea: “If I die too young / Let
all that I’ve done / Be remembered.” That’s all most of us want, in the
end—that our lives, our love, our attempts at goodness, however imperfect, be
remembered and carried forward in some small way.
There is a blessing tucked into the
lyrics that feels like a benediction over these next years of my life: the wish
to “sleep easy… beautiful stranger.” I love that image of us, all of us, as
beautiful strangers—fragile, miraculous, unknown to one another and yet beloved
in some deep, cosmic way. Sitting in the medina, I know I will be surrounded by
beautiful strangers whose names I will never learn. Some will carry their own
private grief, their own memories of sirens and gunshots and headlines. Some will
be carrying groceries or worries or secret joys. I want to sit among them with
my heart as open as I can keep it, blessing them silently as they pass, feeling
myself blessed in return just by the fact of our shared existence in that small
square of earth and sky.
What amazes me, through all of this,
is how curiosity has never left me, even when life has been sharp and
unforgiving. That small, insistent voice in me keeps asking: What else is here?
Who else is here? What can this plant, this person, this place, this moment
teach me? It has carried me across oceans and into new cities, into science and
story, into museums and kitchens, into conversations about history, cosmology,
grief, and joy. It has also carried me inward, into the caverns and
constellations of my own mind and heart, where I continue to discover new
terrain—old wounds that are softening, new rooms of tenderness opening,
unexpected wells of forgiveness and delight.
As I look toward this weekend—toward
intersecting with beautiful strangers on the trail, talking about ocotillo and
mesquite and all the plant nations that sustain us, then stepping into the
Gala’s light and color—I feel aligned, as if I am standing exactly where the
path always meant to lead me. There is a calmness in that realization, a sense
that whatever tomorrow brings, I am on my path and I am at peace. I have known
love in so many forms—familial, romantic, communal, ancestral—and I have had
the privilege of loving openly, fiercely, and often. To love and to be loved,
to still be curious, to still wake up at four in the morning eager to write and
to wonder—this is wealth.
Life is not simple, and it has never
pretended to be. But when I step back and look at the weave of it—the losses
and the survivals, the desert mornings and dance floors, the medina stones and
muumuus waiting in distant markets, the students, guests and friends, the
plants and the prayers and the songs—I feel something spacious open in my
chest. I love. I know love. I am loved. Life is good, and somehow, at sixty, it
feels both hard‑earned and entirely, beautifully undeserved.
To be continued….
.jpeg)

Comments
Post a Comment