Desert Botanical Garden’s 2040 Compass Draft Plan
Yesterday I sat with the
Desert Botanical Garden’s 2040 Compass Draft Plan, and it felt less like reading an institutional document and more like entering an honest conversation about our shared home. The executive summary names what we feel in our bones: the desert is changing, hotter days, more people, more pressure on already‑stressed systems, and yet it keeps teaching us how to live with care, humility, and imagination.
Seeing DBG plan its role as a leader in research, education, and community engagement, naming deserts as frontlines for global solutions, gave me a quiet kind of hope.
I appreciated being asked not just to listen but to respond, to offer feedback from those of us who walk these trails, harvest from these plants, and carry community stories into the Garden.
The plan envisions scaling desert solutions, deepening storytelling, and building durable economic engines for the long haul. I thought of elders, culture‑bearers, scientists, artists, and everyday desert dwellers who’ve done this work for generations, often unnamed. It felt good to see a future where those threads might be woven together more intentionally, the Garden’s reach expanding without losing its roots.
After the meeting, I visited my plant relatives. The prickly pear pads were dotted with shy buds, the saguaros stood like patient witnesses, and brittlebush and palo verdes lit the paths in yellow against the blue sky.
The official language—north stars, endowments, capital investments, softened into something embodied: how do we earn the right to stay here, to keep calling this place home?
Between printed pages and living garden, I felt the gentle tension: a 15‑year plan’s foresight and petals that bloom for only weeks; “desert solutions” beside a cholla spine’s curve or sweetness stored in cactus fruit. That’s where the power lives, at the intersection of strategy and relationship, boardroom vision and the simple act of greeting each plant by season and by name.
I’m grateful to witness DBG naming the challenges ahead and leading with beauty, story, and responsibility. My hope is that as this plan evolves, the voices of the community and the wisdom of these plant nations continue to shape the path forward so that by 2040, our grandchildren can walk these same trails and hear the desert say, “You belong here, but you also have work to do.”



Comments
Post a Comment